Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Facebookism

The first weekend of October, I traveled to Las Vegas with a few other students for the National Journalism Conference. It was not quite what I had expected, yet eye opening to discover what other journalists beyond the scope of the Brimhall building had to say about the industry.


The emphasis of the conference was heavily placed on Facebook. This was not the most useful focus as I have been a member since it abandoned its age-restrictive college demographics. But I can't imagine the whirlwind I would be caught in had this been my first exposure to Facebook.


Although a little repetitive, they helped us understand one thing; Facebook is a social sphere defined by the social graph, the mapping of connections between all people and charts how everyone on Facebook is ultimately connected to one another.


No matter the depth of your involvement, if you are a member of Facebook, you are numbered among the 500 million people within the social graph who practice Facebookism. You may only be the person who visits for the holidays, but you are a Facebookie nonetheless.


Personally, as long as my computer is on, Facebook is creepin’ in the background. For the sake of this argument, I am the Facebook extremist, who has loyal followers that take my word as though it were sanctioned doctrine. In the world of Facebookism, we are given the power and authority to fill both the roles as preacher and congregation member. Facebook is the media medium we practice as religion daily.


Think about it this way, the friends we follow are leaving digital imprints of their life through status updates, wall posts and likes on Facebook. They are compiling a book, a record of their life, that we have access to daily. How much time do you spend reading their gospel versus the Church’s?


With this new perspective on how we use Facebook, do you believe your time spent using the social tool has become a media religion you practice? And since Facebook is only growing in numbers and popularity, how does this change the way you will let your children practice media use?

10 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an interesting perspective that I haven't considered. I think its important to view facebook as an extension of reality and not a reality in and of itself. We've talked about an Elder Bednar talk in which he refers to things "as they really are." He encourages us to use the media wisely and in moderation, and to use it to strengthen real life relationships. Facebook can be a useful tool in accomplishing this. However, when not used in moderation, we can waste a lot of time on it, especially following people we don't really interact with. As far as teaching children, I believe the best thing to teach them is balance. Facebook and other social media shouldn't replace real face to face interactions and real life relationships, but be an extension of them. by the way, happy national unfriend day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is no question that Facebook has affected the way we gather our social information. There is not one company I’ve come across recently that has not started using Facebook, along with Twitter, to get the word out about their company or product. I have to admit that I go onto Facebook several times a day to get updates on what’s going on with everyone. It’s one of the first “go to” places for any information. With regards to how I will let my children practice media use, they both have been on Facebook longer than I have! They started using it as a means to keep in touch with friends and events instead of calling, visiting or writing to them. There is no doubt in my mind that Facebook and the social networks that go along with it is here to stay and me and my children will continue to rely on it for our social media updates with no end in sight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think comparing Facebook to a religion depends on the use. Usually I use it as an instant message or email site, to communicate with others easily. In that sense, you'd have to also say that email, instant messaging or even communicating with people at all is a religion, and I don't believe that is fully the case. I think most users of Facebook realize that anything posted reflects the opinion of the poster, and not as hard doctrine or complete truth, as you would view a prophet or other religious leader. Instead we use it to discuss and sometimes argue ideas, and learning the opinions of others. So I'll have to disagree on this one, I don't think Facebook or social networks are necessarily "religions."

    ReplyDelete
  5. The first question of how much do I use facebook in comparison to how much do I read the gospel is something that i have been thinking about. Media in general is something that i find idles away my time. I think that if you use facebook purely to keep up with people and see what is going on in their life, then it isn't a waste of time. However, when you just browse people and pictures I do find it a waste. Sometimes i think how did i let myself spend an hour on facebook and yet i have no time at the end of the day to read a half hour of the scriptures? I guess its just getting your priorities straight...its not facebook's fault. In response to how much i will let my kids use it, its hard because i know if my mom didnt let me have one then i would think she was "crazy and too protective". So thinking about that i will let my kids use facebook because most of the time there isn't really anything harmful about it but i will explain the dangers that can come from it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amber, I see where you are coming from, but I disagree that social networks are not necessarily "religions", granted they are not actually doctrine, but i know people read apostles bios as though they are. Similarly, the our posts reflect our opinions and become personal memoirs.

    Based on the fact that many boys feel sports is their religion, I think any social media junkies would agree Facebook is not only their drug, but their religion. Any social media site is a hypercommunity that makes people feel like they belong and are important.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The first thing this article made me think about was a talk given by Keith k. Hilbig in General Conference a few years ago. The talk was about the importance of the spirit in our lives and how important it is to choose to do good things. He asks, When you have free time do you go to the mall or go to the temple? Do you read the TV Guide religiously but have a hard time reading your scriptures? I wouldn't consider Facebook a religion but it is interesting if you stop to think about how much time you spend on it. What's more important to you? It's good to take time to reflect on where your priorities are.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, it is definitely a media religion I practice. I go on several times a day too, like Kristi said. And I know my children will use this medium too and will probably be more excessive in their use.
    I will continue to use it and I am grateful for it.
    I find myself reading my scriptures online too.
    But, social media hasn't taken away from my core beliefs or my actual religion. I still study the scriptures each day and I think social media can enhance the religious aspects of my life.
    I love those mormon messages and have seen those embedded on some of my friends Facebook pages.
    Thanks for your post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel Facebook can be consider as a religion in the sense that by using it we are becoming part of a group who share the same social network. I use Facebook everyday. I try to not expend too much time, though. I feel that if we don't want Facebook to become a religion in our lives, we need to give equal time or more time to our own religion than we do to Facebook (as Elder Ballard said on the CES fireside).

    I hope I can help my children so they do not have to depend on Facebook and start using it when they are old enough.

    Great post Cerissa!

    -Stefani Leyva

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for great information you write it very clean. I am very lucky to get this tips from you


    Interviews with movie actors

    ReplyDelete