Sunday, January 24, 2010

Losing My Relig†on

Is the title of R.E.M’s smash 1991 hit in which lead singer Michael Stipe sings, “That's me in the corner, That's me in the spotlight, I'm, Losing my religion,” or is he? Rewind a little bit further to the late 80s with a semi-controversial songstress named Madonnna. With the release of the track and more importantly video for her ’89 hit ‘Like a Prayer’ religious groups and music moguls alike were taken aback by the amount of sacrilegious innuendo that is depicted [below] in the video. But in both of these songs, religion may or may not be the true lyrical focus, depending on how you listen. Without changing the meaning of both songs, neither is truly about religion, but rather love, in ALL forms (physical and not). Musicians and lyricists alike thrive on the notion that they can write whatever they want while still inputting some sort of subliminal message within the words.


Use of Religious terms and meaning has been an on going trend in popular music for as long as I can remember. As we previously saw in Joan Osborne’s “One of Us” she asks us to ponder the meaning of God and the many life forms he could possibly take, even questioning if he could possibly be a “slob like one of us.” Ziggy Marley took to claim that love was his religion in the title track “Love is my Religion.”

Love is my religion, Love is my religion, Love is my religion, I'll take you to the temple tonight. All my days I've been searching, to find out what this life is worth through the books and bibles of time, I've made up my mind I don't condemn, I don't convert, this is a calling have you heard, bring all the lovers to the fold, cause no one is gonna lose their soul


Just in the chorus and first bit of the verse, the use of religion is prominent in a popular Reggae track. Even the outlandish Lady GaGa puts a little faith in a track entitled ‘Teeth” where she states: ‘Got no salvation (no salvation)
Got no salvation.
Got no religion (no religion) 
My religion is you.’


Now, in the wake of great tragedy in Haiti, we seek religion again. As was the case after 9/11, musicians, actors, politicians, etc. unite to create music and call upon old hits to keep the faith. Last Friday’s ‘Hope for Haiti’ telethon brought together musical acts to perform and raise money for Haitian relief, where Madonna sang the controversial “Like a Prayer,” Justin Timberlake covering Leonard Cohen’s “Hallelujah” and Jennifer Hudson singing “Let it Be” (I recommend purchasing this album, proceeds benefit Haiti relief and all tracks are great. Esp Jay-Z, Bono, Rihanna collabo).


The question I offer is: During the trend of religion in pop music, are these songs to be taken at surface level for your own interpretation (and salvation), or does the artist meaning beg to be explored?



3 comments:

  1. I don't think religion is music is just a trend that comes in and goes out. Music is written about life, analogies and references are made and messages are sent. As long as religion is a part of life we will see thousands of examples. Sometime artists will want us to explore deep meanings, yes, and sometimes it'll just be cute or clever. It all depends. It will always be a song-by-song deal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hannah Gibby: I feel like as though few (if any) musicians write songs that they aren't begging to be further explored. How often listening to seemingly simple pop songs on the radio do we wonder what the artist meant by various things? It happens to me a lot. Therefore,I say that the artist is simply begging for their songs to be further explored. It makes music even more entertaining, not to mention meaningful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the previous two posts in that artists write songs that have deeper meanings, often refering to religion. But I don't think that people actually think about these songs further than just surface level. I'm a big fan of REM and have listened to the song "Losing my religion" many times, but never have I ever thought about the song other than to wonder what the lyrics are...Maybe I'm odd, but I don't think I'm that weird. Many people only listen to music for the entertainment and calming factor. I'm sure there are those that go in depth and research and try to figure out what an artist is saying, but overall, I don't think it's normal.

    ReplyDelete