Thursday, January 29, 2009

Viva La Vida


We've all heard the latest Coldplay hit "Viva La Vida" and have been astounded by its consistent beat pattern, muffled bass drum, and white noise. The title of course translates from Spanish to "Live the Life" in English, but what of the lyrics?


I used to rule the world
Seas would rise when I gave the word
Now in the morning I sleep alone
Sweep the streets I used to own
I used to roll the dice
Feel the fear in my enemy's eyes
Listen as the crowd would sing
"Now the old king is dead! Long live the king!"
One minute I held the key
Next the walls were closed on me
And I discovered that my castles stand
Upon pillars of salt and pillars of sand
I hear Jerusalem bells a ringing
Roman Cavalry choirs are singing
Be my mirror, my sword and shield
My missionaries in a foreign field
For some reason I can't explain
Once you go there was never
Never an honest word
And that was when I ruled the world
It was the wicked and wild wind
Blew down the doors to let me in
Shattered windows and the sound of drums
People couldn't believe what I'd become
Revolutionaries wait
For my head on a silver plate
Just a puppet on a lonely string
Oh who would ever want to be king?
I hear Jerusalem bells a ringing
Roman Cavalry choirs are singing
Be my mirror, my sword and shield
My missionaries in a foreign field
For some reason I can't explain
I know Saint Peter won't call my name
Never an honest word
But that was when I ruled the world
I hear Jerusalem bells a ringing
Roman Cavalry choirs are singing
Be my mirror, my sword and shield
My missionaries in a foreign field

For some reason I can't explain
I know Saint Peter won't call my name
Never an honest word
But that was when I ruled the world
Pillars of salt? Jerusalem bells? Missionaries? Saint Peter? Could Coldplay be talking about Lot's wife? Christ? Or simply an old European dictator?
Hours of research could not produce the answer, but did give me several clues. One fellow blogger writes:
"Yes Cavalry and Calvary sound similar in English, but they are entirely different things. Cavalry is an ancient equine (horses) military force, and the other is a location where Jesus died. I don't think that Cavalry is a typographical error on the artist part. I only write this comment, because history is SO interesting and worth investigating, and Jesus more so!
King Louis XVI and the French revolution...
1.The album cover is a famous piece of art depicting the French revolution. I believe it's title is The French Revolution. Google Images: French Revolution Painting
2. King Louis XVI was beheaded, by a group of people called the Revolutionaries. (..."Revolutionaries wait for my head on a silver plate"...) Google: King Louis XVI Revolutionaries
3. King LouisXVI called out to God to be his judge and guide in the time of his dethroning and ultimate execution. (..."Be me mirror, my sword and shield"... a biblical reference to God's Word) Google: King Louis XVI Last Address or Last Testament
4. The French revolution is known for it's attack on Christianity and it's attempt at the de-christianization of France, but many missionaries left France to take Christianity to the world. (...'"my missionaries in a foreign field"...) Google: French Revolution Dechristianization Google: French Missionaries.
5. Louis XVI claimed in his final address that he was being killed for unjust, untrue reasons, or at best misunderstood reasons. (..."never an honest word, but that was when I ruled the world"...) Google: King Louis XVI Last Address or Last Testament
6. In the song, the steady heavy drum beat that never changes it's tone or rhythm MIGHT be a brilliant final touch... because as Louis XVI was giving his final word, he was eventually drowned out by the steady heavy drum beat of the executioner, and he was beheaded. Google: Louis XVI death drum beat
But as for Jesus... Some of the obvious differences to this song and Jesus are:
1. Jesus has NEVER 'rolled the dice' with His ministry on earth, or Heaven or anywhere else. He was very intentional in His ministry and His goals, He always knew He was going to the Cross. Chance or luck (or lack of luck) had nothing to do with Jesus ministry, death or resurrection.
2. Jesus' castles NEVER were built on pillars of salt and sand. Jesus Himself said the foolish man built his house on the sand (symbolic of a life on sin, foolishness and pride, which can never be a firm foundation, which is Jesus Himself).
3. When Jesus rules only honest words are spoken, the song says "never and honest word when I ruled the world" .
4. Jesus is NEVER kept out of Heaven because St. Peter won't call His name (ludicrous)."
Well said. The lyrics seems like a bit of semiotics mixed with narrative to me. Semiotics is the usage of symbols to construct and understand meaning. Many of the words Coldplay chose are religiously symbolic--causing our brains to pick apart this song and try to relate it to something religious (Christ) we are familiar with. Furthermore, narrative theory--storytelling in essence--is used greatly to describe how this man's life once was, his experience with the entanglements of power, and his fall therefrom.
A beautiful piece really, even without a firm confirmation of meaning. However, my opinion sides with the notion that this piece closely resembles the life of King Louis the 16th.
But why would Coldplay write a song about someone so obscure and ancient in our mind's eye? Do Coldplay's lyrics speak of one specific man or are they just a general recap of several famous lives in history? How and why does Coldplay use semiotics to bring out a religious overtone?

4 comments:

  1. This is so interesting to me! I had never really listened to or read the words from Viva La Vida. But they definately make you think. It makes me wonder if the catchy, mesmerizing beat and instrumentals is used in a way to conceal the lyrics from the listener. I don't think 98% of the millions of people who listen to Coldplay's most recent hit have any idea what Chris Martin is a actually saying, and even fewer know what the meaning behind it is. Maybe that's what is so intriguing about this song. The use of semiotics in this song draws people in, at least those who listen to the lyrics. People like a mystery, and bringing possible vague references to Christ into music does what the Da Vinci Code did for readers. A thirst for more!

    It is very possible that the lyrics are referring to a specific man or event in history. Other groups such as U2 and Sting have done similar things in their music and people seem to like that. But I think the main draw of this piece is fabulous artistry the music itself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great way to look into the song. I think that religious people will connect some of the words they hear in the song to religious themes they've already been associated with in their lifetime. Much like a cultivation theory in that they will begin grouping ideas into their realm of understanding. This is probably what happens at first because, as you said, not many people are familiar with Louis the XVI. I think that you are on the right track in thinking the lyrics support this historical king, and it could be a combination of the feelings of many past kings.
    Using semiotics I think is a way to make people really think about what is being said. It requires a higher degree of knowledge and understanding and gives the song deeper meaning. I think Chris Martin tries does this to explore more meaning through his word choice rather than tell a normal story. It obviously works for him, his songs are quite popular.
    I've seen the music video, and along with the cover art for the album, it's definitely French Revolution - which only aids in the argument that this song is a narrative about Louis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coldplay's selection of wording in Viva La Vida is a brilliant move on their part. Even though the lyrics are disjointed and not explicit, the words have a powerful ethos appeal to a very diverse audience. Images of the Roman Cavalry, the Jerusalem bells, of kings and power and glory, have a close grip on the hearts of people across the world--religious or otherwise. To me, the song alludes the sacrifice of human life for a conviction of higher worth. It also appears to address the tormenting realization that you've somehow missed the boat--that saving power once existed in your life but you allowed a beautiful nothing to replace it. No matter how it it translated, I think Coldplay's repeated allusion to the Bible and other enduring moments in history was very deliberate and can be a powerful influence to a very extensive audience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm always amazed at what people are able to get out of a song. I think that artist are sometime intentionally ambiguous. Sometimes they may want you to be confused so you create your own ideas of what a song means. I had a roommate that wrote songs with lines like "bring out the gas, fight fire with fire". When I asked him what it meant, he said he didn't know and that was the point. He thought it just sounded like good lyrics. Sometimes they want to be the only ones that understands what a line means. I believe this gives listeners a chance to make songs personal. Applying a song to your life in a way that only you understand makes music unique to people. The same holds true of art. Many times, people don't want to understand the true meaning of a song (or even the right lyrics!) if it takes away from meaning they have found.

    ReplyDelete