Monday, January 26, 2009

Religion in the Country Music Genre


Country music falls under the category of narrative theory because most country songs tell a narrative story. A lot of country music's stories are about love, loss and heartache. These songs paint a picture and make people feel emotions that they can relate to. Who hasn't been heartbroken or lost a loved one? Most people have, and country music's lyrics tell a story that make people remember instances in their own lives.




(Picture taken from Google Images)


Religion is a way that country artist's relate to their audiences through their songs. Carrie Underwood's song, Jesus Take the Wheel is the story of a young mother driving home to see her mom and dad on a Christmas eve with her baby in the backseat. The young mother has a lot on her mind, and she doesn't pay attention that she driving way too fast. Before she knows it, her car is sliding on black ice. The song goes on that she throws her hands in the air and says, "Jesus, take the wheel." She gives her life in His hands and trusts Him to take the wheel. The song goes on to have a deeper meaning. The "road" that she's driving on is her life. The lyrics continue, "And for the first time in a long time, she bowed her head to pray. She said I'm sorry for the way I've been living my life. I know I've got to change, so from now on tonight Jesus, take the wheel. Take it from my hands 'cause I can't do this on my own. I'm letting go, so give me one more chance and save me from this road I'm on. Oh, Jesus, take the wheel."



Many people identified with this song. This link goes to a YouTube page where the lyrics to the song are presented as the song plays. The comments below are from viewers who really liked the song. They express that it makes them think about God and how important it is to let him take the wheel in our lives.

I think that it is refreshing to have songs like this in the media. Television, radio, magazines and songs produce so many stories on hatred, violence and terrorism. It is nice to be sitting in the car driving somewhere and be reminded that we need to hand our lives over to God so that he can direct us. This message is in such contrast to what the general public normally hears. Many people are religious, and whether or not they are Christian, they can relate to religious-based songs. It's a breath of fresh air for media, through country music, to spread a good message.

(Picture taken from Google Images)

Through music, artists can express their views about religion and God and stimulate converstation in the world. Rascal Flatts is another country band that has a good message and story within most of their songs. Thier song, Bless the Broken Road credits God for leading the singer to a person they fell in love with. The lyrics of the song tell of the journey of life, and that God blessed the broken road that led the person to his significant other.


Do you like hearing these songs about faith on the radio? Do you think it is an appropriate place to express one's beliefs?

10 comments:

  1. I agree that it's refreshing to hear songs with messages of faith on the radio. Music brings a unique motivating factor, and when coupled with faith-based lyrics, I believe it has a remarkable transforming and conversion effect on people.

    I think the radio is a fine place to express religious beliefs, and I think country stations do so the most effectively. When compared to Christian rock stations, country stations provide a less-stereotyped and more easy-going way of listening to faith-based music on the radio. Country listeners get to be uplifted and receive spiritual experiences without having religion directly in their face, and I think that is a positive thing that we should hold onto.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’ve always joked about the fact that country songs always give a narrative or tell a story…Usually unappreciative of it. But now that it’s been put in this perspective, I can see how it a great tool that can be utilized in sharing religious feelings, undertones, or stories that the artist wants to share. So no, I don’t mind hearing songs concerning religion on the radio, especially when it is something I can relate to. And yes, I think it is a very appropriate place to express religious beliefs, especially in a media that is bombarded with the reflection of immoral and unethical practices of our society. Plus, this is a country built on religious freedom, right? So let’s exercise that right a little. In fact, I think there should be more of it because every other song is about a heartbreak or a love story and that concept gets repetitive and is overdone a lot of times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Growing up in Missouri made me love country, whether I wanted to or not. I love the fact that when I am flipping through radio stations and land on a country one, I can almost always be sure to hear a uplifting message. I agree that it is a definite break to everything else playing on the radio. The radio is an appropraite way to express religion. It is a common media between people. So, yes, I 100% believe in country music and its religious expressions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not only do I like hearing these songs on the radio, I download them onto my ipod, and/or put them on CD's.
    I feel it is an appropriate place for someone to express their beliefs. The first ammendmant gives every American the right to do so. People choose what type of media they will engage in. If they don't like a particular belief of an artist, they will change the station or tune it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't really care either way whether these songs are on the radio but it is good to know that if I do want to listen to something like this it's out there. I think the radio could be an appropriate place because there are so many options. If someone doesn't want to listen to the music, they can just change the station. I think it is an appropriate place to demonstrate one's religious beliefs (or lack thereof)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I pretty much agree with everyone else in that it's very refreshing to hear a song like "Jesus take the wheel" It's a nice reminder of Christ, especially when you're in the car rushing to school or work. It puts things into perspective. And yes I think it's an appropriate venue to express ones beliefs. Go first amendment!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutly agree that music is a perfectly appropriate place to express faith and conviction, however, I feel the expression is more meaningful if it isn't coming from a bullhorn. That kind of message can be so much more stirring if it's subtle. I feel like Country Music lyrics fail to recognize the complexity of faith vs. doubt. Then again, maybe it isn't that complex for some people. Maybe that's why I don't enjoy country music.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Trace Adkins had a song come out last year that I felt gave a very accurate, although perhaps oversimplified, definition of the country genre.

    The chorus of his song repeated these lines:
    *
    songs about me
    and who I am
    songs about loving and living
    and good hearted women and family and God
    yeah they're all just
    songs about me
    *
    That definition resonates with me, and I can relate to the story Adkins tells in the song. I feel like God and religion are a part of my life - and when I'm talking about what is most important and most vital to me, those subjects are often raised, so why would it be inappropriate to sing about it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think refreshing is a good word to describe the presence of songs like Carrie Underwood's Jesus Take the Wheel. If the radio is the place for other beliefs to be expressed, it only makes sense that Christian and spiritual beliefs should be expressed on the radio as well. Music is a powerful medium, and when testimony of Christ can be portrayed through an everyday song on the radio I think all the listening audience has the chance to be edified and strengthened.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, music from what I have observed and experienced relates to the emotions of someone at a specific moment. These songs are great examples. I cna actually half relate to Rascal Flatts' song because of a break-up I went through a few months ago. I learned a lot form it and feel the experiences will help me treat the right person the way I should. I think that sometimes that relating relgious experiences to good and bad experiences is the way we appreciate it more.

    ReplyDelete