Monday, September 21, 2009

A Song and a Prayer



Perhaps the most oft-mentioned aspect of religion mentioned in music is prayer. Considering prayer plays a role in every major religion, it should not be a wonder this act of communicating with a higher power is sung about in every major music genre.

Indeed, remembering that a song, at least one coming from a righteous source, is a prayer (see D&C 25:12), the two forms of communicating are tightly intertwined, and have been for centuries.

Because of the universality of prayer and the kinship between song and speaking to Deity, prayer is special in the world of religion in pop culture simply in that it is allowed and accepted. Religion and pop culture have had many run-ins and are often seen as an oil and water mixture, but prayer is one aspect everyone is willing to allow.

Though prayer and song were originally coupled only with religious services, artists now cite prayer in every way imaginable. For instance, there is, of course, Bon Jovi in “Living on a Prayer.”
But there are also two versions hymn-like version of “The Prayer” has found a mainstream following, whether it is the Charlotte Church or the Celine Dion and Andrea Bocelli version. to the head-banging style of


In “The Prayer” lyrics, each singer is placed as if they are speaking directly to God:

I pray you'll be our eyes
And watch us where we go
And help us to be wise
In times when we don't know

Let this be our prayer
As we go our way
Lead us to a place
Guide us with your Grace
To a place where we'll be safe


Though set in more modern settings, other artists even go so far as to teach religious lessons through songs about prayer. Garth Brooks sings of God’s guidance in our lives in “Unanswered Prayers”:

Sometimes I thank God for unanswered prayers
Remember when you're talkin' to the man upstairs
That just because he doesn't answer doesn't mean he don't care
Some of God's greatest gifts are unanswered prayers


Still another possibly more “shy” group of artists imply they are singing about or to God, yet their lyrics can also easily point to another entity, most commonly a lover or helper. For instance, in “Only Hope,” Mandy Moore dualistically sings,

Sing to me the song of the stars.
Of your galaxy dancing and laughing and laughing again.
When it feels like my dreams are so far
Sing to me of the plans that you have for me over again.

So I lay my head back down.
And I lift my hands and pray
To be only yours, I pray, to be only yours
I know now, you're my only hope.




Christians, Jews, Hindus, Buddhists, Baha’i, Sikhism, Shinto—these and many other religious frames of thought all invoke prayer. Pop culture musicians capitalize on the common human experience of prayer to relate to their listeners. Though a widespread tenet of religion, prayer is a deeply personal experience to all who participate in it.

So: 1) What are other possible reasons prayer is mentioned so unashamedly and often in popular music?
2) Are there other tenets or aspects of religion that are mentioned as much or more than prayer?
3) Are songs about prayer mostly uplifting?
4) How did prayer become so accepted in pop culture? Was the acceptance gradual or sudden?

7 comments:

  1. It is human nature to want to compare and connect with others around you. With so many religions and different backgrounds it can be hard to connect and find a common ground between religions. Prayer is one of the few things that most religions have in common. The process of prayer and who you pray to may be different, but it is still the basic idea of talking to a higher power or being to cleanse yourself of troubles or to ask for help in certain areas of your life.

    Prayer may not be as highly criticized in media because it is more ingrained in our minds and is an act that is done more often. It is also a call for help when people need emotional uplifting. The songs that refer to prayer are usually uplifting and give credit to a being that is more knowledgeable than us. By having that person that knows more than us, we can confide in someone that will give us the right answer. It is an act that allows us to feel vulnerable and most people can relate to the reason why people pray.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prayer involves powerful emotions and personal experiences. In addition, prayer uses language to communicate our deepest feelings of our heart. That is exactly what music aims to do. I feel like prayer is portrayed positively in popular culture for a few reasons:

    1. They lyrics are usually deep and personal, almost a type of plea. Music as a plea can come in all forms of music and can resonate with many people. The prayers are rarely just a routine experience, but rather a life-changing answer they are seeking. This is the case in Carrie Underwood's hit song "Jesus take the Wheel."

    2. Prayer is a part of all major religions and can be specific to each person. Music is successful when it "speaks" to a listener. For some it is the beat, for others it is the lyrics. In the case of prayer, it seems like the lyrics bring that sense of connection.

    3. In relatioin to the reading about "progressive rap music" I found a song from Kid Cudi about prayer. The chorus states:

    (Chorus)
    And if I die before I wake, I pray the lord my soul to take
    But please don't cry, just know that I have made these songs for you
    And if I die before I wake I pray the lord my soul to take
    'cuz I'm ready for a funeral

    http://www.metrolyrics.com/the-prayer-lyrics-kid-cudi.html

    I'm unfamilar with this artist, but I was amazed to see that it is not just country or softer music that references prayer. Perhaps this is a way for all types of music to connect to their listeners.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with this and how prayer is one religious topic that doesn't get shunned by the music industry. I think this is partially because in most religions, prayer is a universal practice. How it is practiced may be different, but most religions pray in some manner or another. I feel like even people who may not be super religious may turn to pray and certain times in their lives or don't feel "offended" when other people do. It seems that it is a universal practice and it okay by most people.

    Therefore, when it is mentioned in lyrics and sung, people don't shun away from it. Most people understand that there are hard moments when perhaps prayer is the only place to turn to. And that doesn't always mean getting down on your knees and praying to God. For some it may not even be praying to God but a search for something bigger than themselves that can provide them comfort. I think because prayer for some doesn't always have to relate back to God, that is probably why it is more okay and accepted. God can be a touchy subject for some, but prayer doesn't seem to have this same effect.

    I think overall most songs that mention prayer are respectful. They tend to show that people are indeed searching for an answer and the secular aspects of life are not enough to provide comfort. To me this need for prayer and acceptance of it, shows that most people do believe in something more spiritual but sometimes the idea or institution of religion shuns them away. Luckily, as far as I known, prayer has stayed respectful in music and I hope it stays that way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1) What are other possible reasons prayer is mentioned so unashamedly and often in popular music?

    I think the prayer is mentioned in more than just music. In TV, movies, and other entertainment you hear references to prayer in casual ways, perhaps not realizing that they are referencing communication with God.

    2) Are there other tenets or aspects of religion that are mentioned as much or more than prayer?

    People reference God very casually in speech. Taking the name of God in vain has become so common place that the people who use it so often, probably don't realize what they are saying because it is such a habit.

    3) Are songs about prayer mostly uplifting?

    I think so. Anytime that religion is brought to a subject it changes the focus of the piece. In music, prayer is often used when talking about tragedy or trial, and I think this is a perfect time to reference prayer and bring an "eternal perspective" to the situation.

    4) How did prayer become so accepted in pop culture? Was the acceptance gradual or sudden?

    Because it is a part of so many religions and part of so many people's lives. Songs are often about emotion, and religion and prayer is often connected to that emotion. I think the acceptance was gradual, but it is all encompassing now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this post because prayer is such a huge part of my life. I enjoy having prayer mentioned unashamedly and often in popular music because it relates to my life, and I'm sure that songs use prayer for that reason. i think that prayer is used not only relate to the audience, but also to create a spiritual/inspirational/soul-searching feeling that listeners get when listening.

    I feel like Sunday worship is an aspect of religion that is commonly mentioned in popular music, especially country songs.

    I don't think there can be a generalization that songs that mention prayer are uplifting, but i think that could be true in many cases. the mention of prayer is often used in music to give it a more religious or inspirational feel, but sometimes prayer is mocked, or not as sacred as it may be to us.

    I haven't noticed a sudden change in the way prayer is portrayed in pop culture. Prayer has always been prevalent in my life, and I think that many other people feel that way as well. Prayer has seemed to hold strong throughout the issues that have occurred in the last decade with prayer in schools.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the biggest reason prayer is a religious topic that is considered acceptable all across the music world is because prayer is a personal thing. What I mean by that, is prayer isn't something forced onto other people. I can pray or talk about prayer and someone who isn't religious won't feel like I am pushing religion on them. Prayer seems to be something that we all do. Even if it isn't a "religious" prayer I feel like everyone says some sort of prayer. It may be as little as talking to yourself with a hope of something positive happening in your life. An individual may not actually imagine speaking to a "God" but the concept is still there.

    I can't think of any other religious topic that is mentioned more than or as much as prayer in music. That would be interesting to look into. I wonder what the second most aspect mentioned is? Or maybe Prayer really isn't the most used?

    I think for the most part songs about prayer are uplifting. I think when it comes to the concept of prayer, people take it pretty seriously. I think prayer is an aspect of religion that individuals hold as sacred. Prayer is our way to communicate with our "God." With that in mind, I think musicians try and capture that feel as much as possible and not make light of it.

    One thing that bothers me about prayer and our society is when kids get suspended at school for praying over their food at lunch or in any other public setting. It is crazy how people say religious people need to be tolerant of non religious people but them saying that is being intolerant of religious people.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that prayer is a major theme is music because it is something that the majority of religious people can relate to. Even if someone isn't Christian they usually pry to someone or something.

    I also think that prayer is a major theme because it is a form of hope. People look for hope in al different forms and I think prayer is huge. Also, I think people respect the idea of praying. Prayer is a way to communicate with someone of something that they believe has more wisdom and power than themselves.

    I think it is interesting that artists are not as afraid to mention prayer in their music as they are other religious topics. It is a pretty universal topic. I also think that it's interesting that artist can mention religious topics in their music but they can't really talk about it outside of that.

    ReplyDelete